April is designated as Nationally Child Abuse Prevention Awareness Month. “Since child abuse and neglect occur in every zip code in Orange County and in every socio-economic group, we urge every adult and teenager to take action leading up to, during, and after the month-long awareness campaign,” states Eldon Baber, Executive Director of The Raise Foundation (Orange County’s designated Child Abuse Prevention Council).
Here are some ways to get involved. Please rally your community and friends to join you!
- January through March – Help secure locations for temporary outdoor pinwheel gardens to be planted (grass areas in highly trafficked locations/street corners), and/or help secure locations for the Blue Ribbon Youth Art Exhibit to be displayed (e.g., companies, libraries, museums, City Halls, banks, countywide events and entertainment parks, parent conferences, etc.).
- Before February 9th Deadline – Have youth 1st thru 12th and College-age enter Blue Ribbon Youth Art Contest. (Click here for entry rules/form)
- All Year – Invite Raise Awareness Ambassadors to speak to your service club, place of worship, company/business, school, parents group, organization. (Looking to speak at 10 locations during April.)
- March 25, 11:30 a.m. – Bring YOUR family to Blue Ribbon Family Fun Day at Clinic in the Park – The Great Park, Irvine
- March 28, 9 a.m. – Attend Blue Ribbon Kick-Off Ceremony emceed by Michele Gile (CBS 2/KCAL 9) – Bowers Museum, Santa Ana
- Early April – Volunteer to help plant and dedicate one or more blue pinwheel garden throughout Orange County
- Throughout April – Post Blue Ribbon Month content to your social media